April 28, 2005

Memo to Congress

You've tried twice. And failed. Most sensible people* would take this as a sign that you have to change your tactics in order to succeed. If you really want people to accept a dollar coin, you need to provide a damn good reason**. Like, STOP PRINTING DOLLAR BILLS.

I mean seriously? This argument that people don't use the coins because they don't like them? Is bullshit. If you stop giving them the option of paper dollars, they're not going to refuse to accept the coins, because otherwise they don't get their money. And they won't not spend the coins once they have them, because they're not going to waste the money either. I mean, what am I missing here?

*I know. This is the U.S. Congress we're talking about. But I'm trying to be optimistic.

**And no, I don't think "seignorage" will work in this situation, because it seems like it would require the coins to be in circulation in the first place, which wouldn't happen unless people actually start using them as money.

Labels: , ,

9 comments:

On 7/30/2005 1:58 AM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

I love dollar coins - perfect for vending machine usage.

04.28.05 - 2:00 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 1:59 AM, Anonymous Gothmog said:

Understand that Canadians tried the dollar coin thing once, but found it to be pretty Looney.

04.28.05 - 2:33 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 2:01 AM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Booo

04.28.05 - 3:53 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Jo is brilliant!

I had a kid yell at me last week on my first time ever as cashier, because I thought his coin was a quarter ( he handed me a handfull of change and the dollar coin was mixed in) I'm all for the coins as long as teenagers don't yell at me.

04.29.05 - 8:37 am

 
On 7/30/2005 2:02 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

Kids these days! :)

(Hey Buggy, I think you lost your name!)

04.29.05 - 11:42 am

 
On 7/30/2005 2:03 AM, Anonymous ExI said:

See, I'd be more for this if they also got rid of the penny at the same time. Dumbest.Coin.Ever. Well, at least now where you can't buy anything with them. I know it will never happen, because it would screw up sales tax calculations and wouldn't let stores appear to give you a deal by charging you $1.99 instead of $2.00. But still.

04.30.05 - 3:42 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 2:04 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

I kind of like pennies, because I collect them (sort of). As currency, yeah, they're kind of useless.

I still collect wheat pennies and anything earlier, but you don't see them much, although I did get an 1890 indian-head penny once in change. My dad used to collect them, so I have his collection now, and they're pretty cool - they go back all the way to 1909, and a few are actually (moderately) valuable. My favorite (because it looks cool, not because it's worth a lot) is a pretty-good condition steel penny from WWII.

05.01.05 - 2:41 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 2:04 AM, Anonymous Buggy said:

Has anyone seen the new nickels?
I had no idea they were changing them.

( Oh , and how do you know that was me up there?) *giggle*

05.01.05 - 3:50 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 2:05 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

I heard about the nickels, but I haven't seen any.

Buggy, don't you know? I'm psychic!

Actually, I thought you had said somewhere that they were putting you on chashier, and also, just the thing with the kids - I figured it had to be you.

05.01.05 - 4:57 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home