May 16, 2005

Sites of note and other random stuff

Bitch Ph.D. put up a new link to a site that's a resource for emergency contraception. If you ever find yourself, or someone you care about, in the position to need it, the site has a directory of medical providers where you can get it. Too bad you can't get it over the counter, thanks to this guy. Anyway, I'm going to add it my sidebar as well.

Getting less serious, I accidentally typed in www.fungo.com instead of www.fungo.blogspot.com, and it leads to a Japanese restaurant that appears to specialize in sandwiches. I think I need to go to this restaurant if I ever go to Japan.

ETA: A few other things not really deserving their own posts:

This is just gross. How would you like to be that fisherman who found those thousands of used condoms floating in the lake? And also, who the hell is flushing their condoms down the toilet in the first place?

NBC has apparently decided that Law & Order has reached critical mass at three shows, as they are cancelling the newest permutation, "Trial By Jury." Also cancelled: a whole bunch of other shows I also don't watch.

New for next year:

"My Name is Earl," featuring Jason Lee ("Chasing Amy") as a downtrodden lottery winner. This could be good, as Jason Lee kind of rules.

Martha Stewart's Apprentice knockoff. Hmmm. No, I don't think I'll be watching that.

Gospel singer Amy Grant stars in "Three Wishes," a reality show where she travels across the country trying to transform lives by paying medical bills, making dreams come true and the like. Wow, I think they may have found a show I want to watch even less than American Idol.

"E-Ring," a Jerry Bruckheimer production with Dennis Hopper and Benjamin Bratt, about life in the Pentagon. Could be good, could be bad. Dennis Hopper is cool in a creepy way, and Benjamin Bratt is hot. But the Pentagon is boring. So we'll have to see.

"Fathom," about a creepy new form of sea life. No, no, no.

And...

"Inconceivable," a medical show set in a fertility clinic. I'm sorry, but are they kidding with this one? The article says it's a drama, but the title is rather ridiculous, because no one will be able to say it without talking like Vizzini from The Princess Bride, and it'd be kind of hard to take the show seriously. Also, that title is just a little too precious, I think. Beyond that, I'm not sure how this show would work - either it will be a cloying, inspirational show (in which case I'll want to watch it about as much as the Amy Grant show), or it will go in the other direction and enrage the James Dobson types (who will get the vapors over the fact that all those poor little embryos might get thrown away), and god, we will never hear the end of it.

Labels: ,

11 comments:

On 7/30/2005 5:04 PM, Anonymous Bad bad bad badger said:

Jerry Bruckheimer? Isn't he the guy who produced that recent media spectacle "Operation Iraqi Freedom"? Exciting, action-packed stuff.

05.16.05 - 10:13 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:05 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Did you ever read the issue of the Onion that came out right after 9/11? One of the headlines was, "Life Turns Into Bad Jerry Bruckheimer Movie."

05.16.05 - 10:34 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:05 PM, Anonymous badger said:

No, didn't see it. I did lmao at Team America's assessments of how the war on terrorism relates to hollywood action flicks.

On a related note: should I buy the unedited version when it comes out on DVD today?

05.17.05 - 9:45 am

 
On 7/30/2005 5:06 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Hmm, can't help you with that one. I havent't seen it (I don't see many movies in the theaters). Maybe when I rejoin Netflix...sigh.

05.17.05 - 11:21 am

 
On 7/30/2005 5:07 PM, Anonymous Wheezy said:

I had an Amy Grant 8-track tape when I was a kid.

05.17.05 - 12:59 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:07 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Okay, okay, I will sheepishly admit that she actually had a song back when I was in high school, I think, that I sort of liked. But if you ever repeat that, I will deny it. And my official position is still that she is creepy.

05.17.05 - 1:30 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:08 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Jo and Amy,
Sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love
Then comes gay marriage
Then comes a trip to an in vitro fertility clinic

Okay. That last part doesn't rhyme.

05.17.05 - 1:43 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:09 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

*snort*

I don't know why, but that is hilariously funny.

05.17.05 - 2:09 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:10 PM, Anonymous Pam said:

Mmmmm....Benjamin Bratt....that is all. *waves to Jolene*

05.17.05 - 5:50 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Hi Pam! :)

05.17.05 - 8:02 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 5:12 PM, Anonymous Kim said:

I bet it was that Baby, Baby song. Wonder if that will be the theme song for Inconceivable?

05.22.05 - 10:14 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home