December 01, 2003

AAAAAARGH!!!!!

It's days like this when I can truly appreciate Dilbert.

I had to create a new document today (one of those documents I have to sign with the fancy pens that I mentioned last week), and I opened up the most recent one I had written so I could use it as a template. These things have a specific format you have to use, and a lot of biolerplate language, so it makes life a lot easier if you don't have to start from scratch.

So anyway, I make a copy of the old document, and start to go through it to cut out what I'm not going use, and I notice something weird - the pagination is all wrong. There are page breaks where there shouldn't be any, and no page breaks where there should be. Gah? What the hell? I realized that my secretary had, for some unknown reason, gone in and changed all the page breaks when I had only told her to make one other, unrelated change.

The worst part is that I didn't check through it before I signed it, because it didn't occur to me that she would ever do such a thing. It's not fatal - probably the worst that will happen is that it will get rejected by the office it was submitted to because of improper format, and we'll have to resubmit it - but it makes me look like an idiot, because it has a little table of contents at the beginning that says "section X starts on page A, and section Y starts on page B, etc.," and it's totally wrong.

Also, she's out sick today, so I can't tell her that she probably shouldn't be making substantive changes to anything without telling me, and it's just making me more and more aggravated the more I sit here and worry about it. It's not really her fault, since they actually changed the required format of this type of document, and she probably assumed I had done things wrong, but the idea that she would make the changes she did without telling me is the truly irritating thing.

Aargh.

On top of that, I've been agitated all day because my company unveiled their new website today. They touted it as this wonderful, glorious thing, and a vast improvement over the old site. Except, it totally sucks, in so many ways. Without getting too specific, it's the kind of site that is so poorly designed that it actually makes you angry as you try to navigate it. You'd think expensive marketing consultants would know a thing or two about design, or at least that they should have enough sense not to create a site that is so aesthetically offensive that it pisses people off. But I guess not.

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home