March 30, 2003

It’s been over a week now that I’ve had this blog. Well, to be more accurate, this blog, plus the Blog Formerly Known as Have Fun, Go Mad. I thought it was time to do a little week-in-review post. Actually, more like a week-plus-in-review. Something like that.

As I stated in a previous post, this blog exists to give me a place to write. I suppose there’s no reason why I couldn’t just sit at my computer and write things, but the motivation is really much stronger when you know someone will be reading what you’ve written.

I still don’t claim to be anything but a non-writer. None of my posts so far come close to approaching the longer essays that I would love to be able write. Part of the reason for that is that I don’t have a lot of time. It’s also because I’m using this blog as a place where I can just let my thoughts out. If those thoughts are short, they’re short, and if they manage to form themselves into a longer essay, that’s great.

“Just letting your thoughts out” can have its disadvantages, however. It has a lot of them, actually. I don’t do much editing or spell-checking, so my posts tend to have more typos than I’d like. Occasionally, I’ll go back and read over some posts, and I’ll find new typos every time.

Even worse are the glaring grammatical mistakes. For instance, I just noticed that in the first sentence of the previous paragraph, I originally wrote “it’s” rather than “its.” It’s mistakes like that that mortify me, because mixing up “it’s” and “its,” “they’re,” “their,” and “there,” “you’re” and “your,” etc. are major pet peeves of mine. I may not be the greatest writer of all time, but I at least like to think that I know most of rules of grammar and punctuation (even if I break them, on purpose or not, on occasion).

All in all, I think this has been a successful endeavor. I’m really, truly enjoying it. If you had told me five or ten years ago that I would actually enjoy writing, I would have asked you what you were smoking. But I am. I’m really wishing now that I had paid more attention to learning how to write well while in college, because if I could get paid to do this, I would be in heaven. It would sure beat what I'm doing now.

So sit back, enjoy the ride, and I’ll do my best to entertain you.

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home