August 26, 2005

Jolene has an epiphany

So I'm perusing the latest bloggish stylings over at Atrios, and I see this, and in my mind I hear that sound effect of a record abruptly stopping, because, WHAT?! Michael Penn has a song I have not heard? Does this mean he has a new album I did not know about? How did this happen???*

So I listen to the mp3, and holy heck, this song is gorgeous, even forgetting about the political aspects, which are gravy - I'd buy anything he put out no matter what he was singing about...well, okay, maybe not entirely true, as I might not be too keen if he was singing about, like, how awesome George Bush was or whatever, but come on, he's Sean Penn's brother - could you really see that happening? (What's that you say? People don't always have to have the same political leanings as their siblings. What about Stephen Baldwin, huh, huh? He's no liberal like his commie brother Alec, is he, huh? Well? To which I say, shut up and stop trying to undermine my arguments. Where was I, anyway?)

Right, Michael Penn's new album. So I go to buy it from iTunes, and here's the point in the story where I actually talk about the epiphany referenced in the title of this post. Before downloading the album, I went to check in my iTunes to make sure there really was a new album, and that I didn't actually already own "Walter Reed," the new song, but had forgotten about it or something. So I scroll through all his previous albums, including the last one, which is called "MP4: Days Since a Lost Time Accident." I had always wondered what the MP4 stood for, and I had always assumed it was some sort of audio-techy sort of thing (and indeed, it is), but I also thought it might have some other significance, but I had no idea what. Until today, when I happened to notice that Michael Penn's initials are M.P., and that was his fourth album. M.P. 4. MP4. Oh. OH! Only took me five years to figure that out. God.

Yes, this is what passes for excitement in my little corner of the world, but it's either this or more posts about my template, and I know no one wants that.

*Actually, I know how it happened. It's because I've kind of lost touch with the music scene ever since I stopped listening to the radio after my favorite local alternative station fired my favorite DJs and replaced them with these asshole Howard Stern wannabes, and also bought up a bunch of other stations and got way too commercial (oh yeah, I went there).

Labels: , ,

7 comments:

On 8/28/2005 9:09 PM, Blogger gothmog said:

2 things:

1) I'd buy anything he put out no matter what

I take it from this that you like it when he puts out.

2) To which I say, shut up and stop trying to undermine my arguments

I read this not once but twice and thought it said "stop trying to examine my undergarments."

 
On 8/29/2005 12:48 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

1. Well, sure.

2. Now that you mention it, yes, you should probably stop trying to examine my undergarments. But that's mostly for your own benefit. I don't want to be responsible for causing you emotional distress.

 
On 8/29/2005 12:11 PM, Blogger Dweeze said:

Is this a private thing or can I join in?

 
On 8/29/2005 3:10 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Please, join in. We're all about being inclusive here.

 
On 9/05/2005 7:55 PM, Blogger ilse said:

So does Aimee Mann mind when he puts out for you?

 
On 9/06/2005 12:28 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

Pffft. Like I'm concerned about her opinions.

 
On 9/06/2005 2:03 AM, Blogger gothmog said:

Try saying "Aimee Mann mind" 5 time real fast.



Ok, so it's not a tongue twister, but it does make you sound kind of silly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home