June 02, 2005

It's always something

The good news is, I remembered my subway pass today. However, my morning commute still managed to produce a fair amount of cursing.

On the way in this morning, I had to make an extra stop to pick up a bunch of books. For some unknown reason (probably because people enjoy making my life difficult), these books could only be picked up today between 10 and 6. Thanks, it's not like I have A JOB or anything.

Despite the fact that picking up the books should have been a fairly simple task, I managed to get lost on my way there (okay, more like I walked three blocks too far because I missed a street sign, but still, it was annoying), took the subway the wrong way because I wasn't paying attention, forcing me to have to get off and go outside in order to go in the right direction, and nearly died of heat exhaustion because I had no idea it was going to be warm and sunny today, and I was wearing a sweater and lugging 35 pounds of books all over the city and up and down a million flights of stairs because all the escalators were out of service.

So I get into work, and I'm literally dripping with sweat. And within minutes of sitting down at my desk, my boss knocks on my door.

Boss: What's with the suitcase? Are you going somewhere?

Me: (trying to discreetly blot the sweat from my face with a tissue) No...that's for those books I had to pick up this morning.

Boss: Hey, can you come meet this client who came by the office?

Me: Like, right now?

Boss: Yeah, right now.

Me: Are you sure you want me to be meeting clients looking like...this?

Boss: Yeah, don't worry about it! You're fine.

And then he just stood there and laughed at me as I silently repeated to myself, I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.

Labels: , , ,

12 comments:

On 7/30/2005 7:54 PM, Anonymous Wheeze said:

Oh, man.

06.03.05 - 12:17 am

 
On 7/30/2005 7:57 PM, Anonymous Pam said:

Awwww, you're glowing.

06.03.05 - 9:23 am

 
On 7/30/2005 7:58 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Helpful hint for you - there's this thing called the forecast, where you can watch on TV, or go online, or read in the paper, or listen on the radio, and find out if what the weather for the day is likely to be. You might want to look into that.

06.03.05 - 11:35 am

 
On 7/30/2005 7:59 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Har har. When the weather's exactly the same every day for a month, sometimes you forget. :P

Also, normally I don't spend much time outside on the way to work, and more importantly, I'm not hauling 35 pounds of books all over the place.

By the way, I'm happy to report that my commute this morning was entirely uneventful. I'd write another post about it, but I think it's time I switched to a new theme.

06.03.05 - 2:58 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:00 PM, Anonymous pooh said:

sweetoe - I so love your blog! You crack me up

06.03.05 - 8:05 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:01 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Aw, thanks, Pooh! :)

06.04.05 - 12:44 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:02 PM, Anonymous ExI said:

Those books? Suck ass.

The people handing out the books? Suck ass even more.

Thus ends my 2 cents. :)

06.05.05 - 10:16 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:02 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

The wisdom of One Who Knows.

I am afraid of the books.

06.06.05 - 10:45 am

 
On 7/30/2005 8:03 PM, Anonymous ExI said:

Me too, hon. Me too.

06.07.05 - 12:29 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:15 PM, Anonymous Iggy said:

I hear you on not realizing that it would be warm and sunny. I just realized this morning that the sun shines here too, not just in all of the places that I have been travelling to. Who knew it was ever anything other than 50 and rainy/gray?

06.07.05 - 12:29 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:16 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Seriously. I think I forgot what the sun was. Of course, I've been bitching about the weather constantly for the last month, and now that it's actually nice, I still find things to complain about.

All I want to do is whine about how I'm not ready for summer clothes yet because I hate everything I own, but I have no time to go shopping for new stuff (and don't really want to spend the money, either). And anyway, what happened to spring? It's like it doesn't even exist anymore.

06.07.05 - 4:05 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 8:17 PM, Anonymous Iggy said:

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't exactly dress appropriately for walking home from the lab in today's weather, so now I am dripping with sweat. Ick. Can I join your I miss spring club? I promise I won't bring pie this time. :)

06.07.05 - 7:07 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home