May 31, 2005

I almost forgot this thing was still here

Okay, not entirely true. I'm just in another rut. Can't think of anything to write about. I thought that once that thing that had consumed the last four years of my life was over, I would have more motivation to write stuff here, but it's been exactly the opposite. I'm not sure what's going on.

My life really isn't very exciting, so it's not like I can find much inspiration there. I did have a massive allergy attack all weekend, so there's that, I guess. Granted, this is the first time in my life I've ever had one, so "massive" is perhaps relative. It was a little scary, though. Not scary in the sense that it was life-threatening or anything, but in that I'm worried this is the beginning of a lifetime of allergies. Both my parents have them, and my mom's didn't start till she was an adult, so I hope the same thing doesn't happen to me. Ugh.

I did do something moderately interesting on Friday. I spent a few hours volunteering at the campaign headquarters of one of candidates running for governor. This is a rather big deal for me - despite having very strong opinions, I am pretty passive when it comes to politics. I vote, and that's about it. I always feel like I should do more, but I've just never had the energy. I think the last time I did anything actively political was when I was fifteen and went to this huge pro-choice rally in Washington, DC (which is a whole other story in itself - I still can't believe my parents actually let me take a bus down with a bunch of other high school kids and no chaperones).

Anyway, this governor's race is a big deal here, because the guy currently running the state (and I use the term "running" loosely here, because he spends most of his time preparing to run for president) is a major fuckwad. There are now three declared candidates for the Democratic candidates. I'd be okay with any of them - they're all certainly orders of magnitude better than what we have now - but with two of them, I can't manage much of a reaction beyond, "Eh." But I really, really like the third guy - he's a true progressive. And I really, really want him to win. His big problem is that he's a total unknown, so he doesn't have nearly the amount of money or name recognition as the other two. There's still plenty of time to change that, though.

Labels: ,

14 comments:

On 7/30/2005 6:33 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Hey! New post!

05.31.05 - 1:49 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:33 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

But it wasn't a good post. I think my funny is out somewhere cavorting with my motivation, and I don't have the time or the energy to go find either of them. It's a rather sad state of affairs, I must say.

05.31.05 - 2:25 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:34 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

My funny left too. It took most of my spirit and life with it.

05.31.05 - 5:07 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:35 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Okay, things aren't that bad. I don't want anyone panicking.

Or picnicking, for that matter.

05.31.05 - 5:29 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:36 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

That's good. :)

But I have to say, if I want to have a picnic, I'll have a damn picnic, and ain't no one gonna tell me different.

05.31.05 - 5:52 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:36 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Will you take me?

05.31.05 - 7:54 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:37 PM, Anonymous Kim said:

If you go on a picnic, you have to take me. I'll bring fried chicken.

06.01.05 - 1:39 am

 
On 7/30/2005 6:38 PM, Anonymous Dweeze said:

Cool. Are we going to invite everyone?

06.01.05 - 9:48 am

 
On 7/30/2005 6:38 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Sure, everyone is welcome. As long as someone brings a big red-and-white checkered blanket. And we have to have a real picnic basket.

06.01.05 - 11:22 am

 
On 7/30/2005 6:40 PM, Anonymous Iggy said:

Ooh! Oooh! Can I come? Can I bring pie? 'Cause I like pie. :)

06.01.05 - 11:54 am

 
On 7/30/2005 6:41 PM, Anonymous badger said:

i'll bring the vegan potato salad. 'cause i'm antisocial that way.

06.01.05 - 12:21 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 6:41 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Well, I am not a pie fan, myself. But I'm sure others are, so it's all good.

And vegan potato salad? I'm afraid to ask what the dressing is made of (I assume no mayonnaise, right?). But I'd still try it. I like potatoes, after all. :)

(Just don't bring any of that fake meat made from wheat gluten - I once went to a vegan restaurant, and they had that, and it looked really gross.)

06.01.05 - 12:47 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 7:12 PM, Anonymous Iggy said:

Hmmm. Well, I'm really up for anything in the dessert family, so I can pick something different. I've just been on a little Key Lime Pie kick lately.

Oh-forgot to mention before-I'm jealous of your motivation to do political stuff. Maybe I'll have to look into that to do during my other free minute this summer.

06.01.05 - 1:25 pm

 
On 7/30/2005 7:12 PM, Anonymous Wheezy said:

you guys just reminded me I have a half a piece of cheesecake in the fridge.

06.03.05 - 12:50 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home