February 09, 2005

If Dweeze says jump, jump I must

So I see here where we have this musical questionnaire I'm supposed to complete. Okay, then.

1. Last CD you bought

Probably was Autumn Thunder: 40 Years of NFL Films Music (10-disc box set) or the newest from Tears For Fears, both of which I bought a few weeks ago. At some point recently, I also bought a CD sight-unseen (or sound-unheard, I suppose) from some Andean musicians who often sell CDs in the shopping district near my office. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a pan flute.

2. Last song listened to before this message

"Live Until I Die" - Ass Ponys

3. 5 songs you listen to a lot or mean something to you

I'm not sure I like this question. "Songs I listen to a lot" and "songs that mean something to me" are two entirely different things. Also, songs could mean something to you in a good way or in a bad way, and "meaning something" could mean that the lyrics mean something to you, or maybe that the song as a whole is meaningful. Like, every time I hear "What's Up" by Four Non Blondes, it makes me think of this time in college when this guy I was going out with dumped my ass right before we were supposed to go to a movie premiere that he'd gotten free tickets to, and for some unknown reason, I still went with him, despite the fact that I was nearly boiling over with rage, and that song was playing in the car on the way there. Or there's "Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum, which I always used to listen to in college when I was depressed. I don't think I want to make a list of songs that mean something bad, though, because that's no fun.

But leaving those out, the question still taunts me with its ambiguity. If I sort my iTunes by number of times played, the five that come up on top are, starting with most times played:

"Du Hast" - Rammstein (Interestingly, this song also came up here.)

"You Win Again" - The Bee Gees

"White Flag" - Dido

"Another Night" - Real McCoy

"Lambada" - Kaoma

Not all of those are recent, though. Lately, one song that I keep playing is "True Faith" by New Order. It is just a fucking brilliant song.

As for songs that mean something to me (in a good way; see above), this is harder, because I can't really look at iTunes to jog my memory, unless I want to scroll through nearly 3500 songs, which I don't.

Probably the oldest one I can think of is the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive", which, besides being an awesome disco song, reminds me of when my Dad used to play it for me when I was a little kid, and I'd dance to it in his study - that's where he kept the record player. Yes, people, I do remember record players. In fact, one day, I wanted to listen to it so much that I decided I'd try to play the record myself, and of course I ended up scratching it. When my Dad discovered this, he wondered aloud how it had happened, not appearing to have any idea I could have done it, and I certainly didn't volunteer the information. Even to this day, I have never told him, and man, suddenly I feel so ashamed. Maybe this isn't such a good memory after all. Anyway, moving on...

When I was about 14, a bunch of friends and I were at summer camp, and we made up a dance for some sort of talent show thing that was set to "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals. It was a pretty lame dance, but we had fun, and for years afterwards, it was all I could to keep myself from doing the dance every time I heard the song. I've since forgotten most of it, but I can still do part of the chorus.

When I was a freshman in college, my two roommates and I had this thing where, when we got really stressed out (which was quite often), we'd blast "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane (yes, it's a cheesy song - I don't care) at two in the morning and dance around in our room. I'm sure our neighbors loved that.

And then there was grad school, where the song "Gangsta Trippin'" by Fatboy Slim will always remind me of this one party at the apartment of my friend the former Calvin Klein underwear model (I am not making that up - he really was - and now he has a Ph.D., so there), and our other friend got really drunk and put handprints on his own ass using fluorescent body paint.

Oh, and I just remembered this last one. "Lonely Planet" by The The will always have a special place in my heart, because I won a radio contest by knowing the lyrics. The contest was that they would read (not sing) a couple lines from a song, and you had to call in and say what the song was. I am usually terrible at this - whenever someone sends around one of those lists of 100 song lines, and you have to guess what the songs are, I can usually get about five of them - so I was amazed that I got the answer. I was actually the third person who got through, but the first two got it wrong. I won a Timberland backpack, which is probably the most random prize I've ever heard of, and which I still have.

Anyway, those are some songs that mean something to me, I guess, in the sense that they all have significant memories attached to them. I'm not sure if I properly followed the rules of the question, but hey, this is where I invoke the this-is-my-blog-and-I'll-do-whatever-I-damn-well-please provision of the blogging laws, so screw you all if you have a problem with it. Ha!

4. Who am I going to pass this stick to?

Well, ExI says he's looking for more ways to waste time.

Labels: , , ,

8 comments:

On 2/09/2005 10:11 AM, Blogger Dweeze said:

Now that wasn't so bad, was it?

I, uhm, don't really know any of those songs until you get to your childhood (my *ahem* college or later years) ones.

 
On 2/09/2005 10:24 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

Well, I think it probably has less to do with our respective ages than with our apparently non-overlapping musical tastes. Also, I think it's possible you might recognize a few of the songs if you actually heard them. :)

 
On 2/09/2005 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Damn right I am. This will have to wait until, later however: actually need to do stuff today. Grr.

-ExI

 
On 2/09/2005 11:59 AM, Blogger Dweeze said:

All I know is, Wheezy can have your cd collection.

 
On 2/11/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger TechNoir said:

Impressive how you follow directions. I'm not so good at that. (Bet you're real surprised.)

 
On 2/11/2005 11:36 AM, Blogger Jolene said:

You know me, I live to serve (hahahaha).

Anyway, what I really want to say is, yay, Tech is here!

 
On 2/12/2005 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Forgive my intrusion, but I ran across your list of songs after seeing your link on both Kim's and ExI's blogs. I feel like I should know you, since you seem to be SB, but I'm clueless as to the specifics. So far.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I was delighted to see AssPonys on your list--they're a Cincinnati institution and I've seen them frequently live, and even played a couple of times with John Erhardt, back in the day. Nice to know they've gained the national attention they deserve

--Gothmog

 
On 2/12/2005 2:37 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Heh heh. I love being mysterious. Welcome to my blog. :)

And check yer email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home