February 23, 2005

Are you kidding me?

I don't care what people believe. I don't. If people want to be Catholic and think that the Pope should have moral authority over them, that's their business. But honestly, why should the rest of the world be forced to listen to this guy?

Gay marriages are part of an "ideology of evil"? Abortion is analogous to the Holocaust? And we all know what he thinks about AIDS and condoms. It's like he sat down and said to himself, hmmm, what's the best way to sound like the most arrogant, offensive fuckwad on the planet?

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.

I mean, he openly admits that human rights should be secondary to "the family" and "man," whatever the hell those things mean. I'm sorry, but that is fucking insane.

ETA: After I posted this, I saw this post over at AmericaBlog, and realized I completely forgot about the part where the Catholic Church actively covered up the priest sex abuse, as well as ignored the actual Holocaust while it was happening.

So to summarize: gay marriages = evil; child sexual abuse = not evil unless we're caught, then it's evil, we guess; abortion = Holocaust, which is now evil, even though we kind of didn't care when we actually could have, you know, saved some people.

Amazing. Absolutely fucking insane.

Labels: , , ,

10 comments:

On 2/23/2005 12:36 PM, Blogger John R. Stoeffler said:

One who uses the four-letter-word for fornication so profusely in order to attempt to make a point is more than likely to have an IQ much closer to four than to 130.
Have a nice day.

 
On 2/23/2005 12:46 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Awesome. My first troll comment. You know you haven't truly arrived until you get one.

 
On 2/23/2005 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

One who attempts to judge others' IQs appears obviously to have a severe deficiency to overcome.

Isn't it interesting how sometimes people say the words 'Have a nice day', but what they really mean is 'fuck you for having freedom of speech'.

Moving on:
Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening societyI can't understand how homosexual marriage is 'insidiously threatening'. This is mind-boggling. I've heard the arguments, and to me they are completely senseless.


And Jolene, nice post. How Hunter S. Thompson-esque of you! :)

Wheeze

 
On 2/23/2005 1:41 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Aw, thanks, Wheeze! :)

And yeah, I really just don't get it. Never will. The only reason I could ever see, personally, for justifying not allowing gay marriage, is envy. I see gay people in love, and I just want what they have, you know? So I could be a bitter old hag and say, well, if I can't have it, they can't either. But that's fucking stupid. (Whoops, there I go again with the four-letter words!)

 
On 2/23/2005 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm not Catholic, but I play one at work. :)

It might interest you to know that a whole lot of my colleagues are waiting with increasing impatience for the Pope to expire. And this isn't a recent development: when he was shot in '81, the husband of one of my very Catholic colleagues was relieved--when he found out that his wife had an unshakable alibi for the time of the shooting.

Congrats on the troll, but don't wave it about; otherwise everyone's going to want one.

--GM

 
On 2/23/2005 2:35 PM, Blogger Dweeze said:

I know I do...

 
On 2/23/2005 2:40 PM, Blogger Wheeze said:

me too. I'm jealous.
Jolene should not have the right to have a troll if I can't have one too.

I thought I had one once, but it turned out to be just a typo.

Wheeze

 
On 2/23/2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

I can come troll your blogs if you really want one. If GM ever got a blog, I could troll his, too.

Anyway, GM and everyone else, to be more serious, I am always wary about saying stuff like this - I don't want to come off as being some sort of anti-Catholic bigot or something. I'm really, really not. I just hate the hypocrisy and the moral absolutism, and especially the attitude that the rules of any one particular religion should apply to everyone else. But maybe there is hope that the next pope will be better.

 
On 2/23/2005 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Aw, Jo--don't be wary at all. For one thing, if you can't say what you think on your own blog, then the Thought Police have won. 2nd, anyone who knows you knows will give you the benefit of the doubt as to your motives; you have a strong, proven record against bigotry. And C, as I said above, you'd be surprised how many Catholics (especially Catholic women) agree with you--which says something about how well hypocrisy and moral absolutism plays even among the indended audience.

--GM

 
On 3/01/2005 5:14 AM, Blogger Zen Angel said:

Great post. And if the troll doesn't like it....fuck 'em.

:::big grin:::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home