December 20, 2004

50 things you should eat before you die

So I saw this link on another blog and thought, before looking at it, that it would a be a list of weird or strange foods, and wouldn't it be interesting to see how many of them I had eaten. Except apparently it was compiled by a public vote and not by, say, a food critic (what a crazy idea that would be). Also, it was done in England. So it's not surprising that I, as an American, would have never eaten some of the things on the list.

But what's really strange is that, while there are some weird foods on the list, most of the things are really mundane, like pizza. Who hasn't eaten pizza? What's the point of putting it on this list? Even worse is how utterly inconsistent the list is. Some items are discrete food items, like pancakes or alligator. But Chinese food? That is an entire cuisine. And "barbacues"? "American diner breakfast"?? What the hell does that even mean? Either make a list of foods, or make a list of cuisines, but DON'T PUT BOTH IN THE SAME LIST BECAUSE IT'S ANNOYING AS ALL HELL. Ahem. Some of the items don't even make much sense. Like fresh fish. Does that imply that for the rest of the items, it doesn't matter if they are fresh? Mmmm, I love me some spoiled lobster. Also, sandwiches???

Anyway, here are the things I have either not eaten, or am not sure if I have eaten (and I just realized you can click on each item to get more info., but I am too lazy to do that):

11. Moreton Bay Bugs - I have no idea what these are. Must be a British thing. I love that the first ten items are totally normal things, and then... bugs. Unless they aren't actually bugs, and it's just a name, but like I said, I don't feel like bothering to find out.

20. Alligator - Doubt I'll ever try it.

21. Oysters - Ick. Slimy foods make me gag.

22. Kangaroo - Doubtful.

32. Guinea Pig - Oh hell no.

33. Shark - No.

36. Barramundi - That's a fish, right? In principle, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, except for the fact that it's giving me bad Survivor flashbacks.

37. Reindeer - No, you can't eat Rudolph! (Or is it Rudolf? I'm not so good with the Christmas lingo.)

40. Australian Meat Pie - Never tried it, but would be willing to, as long as I was sure it wasn't made of, like, sweetbreads or something. Because, yuck.

42. Durian Fruit - I was about to say I wouldn't mind trying this, because hey, I like fruit, but then I did actually cheat and click on the link, and it says it has a really nasty smell, and sorry, I cannot get past that, so I don't think I'll be trying any durian fruit, thank you.

43. Octopus - Wait, didn't we already have squid on the list? Aren't they the same thing? And isn't that what we call calamari? I'm so confused. Anyway, I've had calamari, whatever it's made out of, and I didn't particularly care for it, so I don't think I will likely be consuming any squid or optopus in the future.

44. Ribs - Strangely, I've never had ribs. Not sure why. Probably because they're too messy. I have had Chinese spare ribs, but I'm not sure if that counts.

47. Jerk Chicken/Pork - One of the few things on the list that I would definitely like to try, but never have.

48. Haggis - Gross. No.

49. Caviar - I've had sushi with fish roe, but I don't think that counts - you can't taste it, anyway. I'm kind of curious to try good caviar, if only so I can say to myself, wow, thank god I'll never have to eat two pounds of that.

50. Cornish Pastry - Never had one, but it sounds really good. (Yes, fine, I cheated again. Sue me.)

Labels:

5 comments:

On 12/20/2004 3:45 PM, Blogger DyingBurningFighting said:

Consider yourself SUED! :)

 
On 12/20/2004 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Sweetie darling:

A: You've never had oysters? For shame. At some point, go to the Summer Shack and try some. You will not be saddened, "slimy" or no.

B: Jerk Chicken is friggin awesome. Try it ASAP.

C: For ribs, I'd recommend Houston's. The ones in the original Houston restaurant are out of this world, and I assume the ones in Boston wouldn't be dissimilar. And yes: Chinese spare ribs do not count. :-)

But I'm right there with you on the haggis thing. Uck.

-ExI

 
On 12/20/2004 10:19 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

But, but, they're SLIMY, dude. You don't understand the food texture issues I have. It's almost pathalogical (okay, maybe not almost). On the other hand, perhaps if accompanied by the right person, I could be persuaded to try anything...

 
On 12/22/2004 10:09 AM, Blogger Dweeze said:

I concur (see - legalese!)with Ex about the Chinese spare ribs not being ribs. But I must strongly suggest that you have ribs somewhere, someplace, NOW! IMMEDIATELY! Ribs is God's food...

And yes, you do owe me an email. Not like I'm Mr. Prompt with emailing friends. (I still owe Landru an email.)

 
On 12/22/2004 1:50 PM, Blogger Jolene said:

Okay, okay, I will try ribs! Sheesh, you people! :)

I will get that email out eventually, Dweeze, but I assure you it will not be nearly as interesting as you might expect from all the buildup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home