November 23, 2004

Who needs coffee when you have old boyfriends to wake you up in the morning?

No, not like that.

But seriously, nothing jolts you out of your early-morning bleariness like running into an ex. And not even a real ex. More like a long-time friend who you mistakenly slept with once. Or maybe twice. Definitely not more than three times.

It's actually surprising that we haven't bumped into each other before, given that we live literally three blocks from each other. It probably has something to do with the fact that even though we live so close, we actually live in different neighborhoods, and people from either one don't tend to venture much into the other. Today I had to, though, because I had a doctor's appointment, and I had to go through his neighborhood to get to it.

What's most embarrassing is that I was doing that thing where you are aware of people walking by you, but you don't actually look at their faces, so you don't realize the guy coming toward you is staring at you until he's right up in your face saying "Hi," and you are so startled that you don't know what to say.

Me: Oh my... wow... hi!

Him: How are you??

Me: Good, good. I haven't seen you in, like, forever.

Him: I thought maybe you were dead.

Me: Not really, no.

Him: Huh.

Me: Yeah, just really busy.

Him: That's, uh... great?

Me: Yeah. Well, I have to get going. We should, um, chat sometime when we have more time.

Him: I think I lost your phone number. Are you in the phone book?

Me: (Thinking for a moment.) Yes, yes I am.

Him: Okay.

Me: Well, bye.

And then he walked off into the sunset and out my life again. Or actually to Dunkin Donuts. And also the sun wasn't setting, because it was, you know, morning. But you get the idea.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home